Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Mother's Day Hassle

I am all for a day that recognizes moms, after all we celebrate presidents, love, fathers and grandparents too. But it has been little more than a pain in the butt for me, especially since becoming a mother.

Mother's Day falls on the second Sunday of May every year, but rarely have I ever had all of the cards picked out, let alone mailed, or gift ideas solidified beforehand. Have you ever gone to Walmart and stood among 30 other goofballs who waited until Saturday at 2 p.m. to pick a Mother's Day card? Have you ever seen the selection left after the "on-the-ball" types have picked over them?

"Mother's are like Red Roses....pretty and delicate. Happy Mother's Day" read one stupid leftover card. Even better are the cards that have a decent picture on the front and on the inside say ever-so creatively, "Happy Mother's Day." I wouldn't say I hate Mother's Day but it's just another Hallmark holiday that forces me to have to think of all the moms, grandmothers, my favorite aunt and my kids' godmothers in time to get cards to them before the "big day". For pete's sake, let's all just say "Happy Mother's Day" IF we see each other and leave it at that. Maybe a call would be nice for mothers living far away...but more than that? Please don't bother.

I've been a mother for 6 years now and I have not gotten over the fact that I think Mother's Day is just one big pain for me. Tomorrow's Thursday, Mother's Day is a short 3 days after that...I'd better get those cards, how many again? I'd better grab those gifts then wrap them then mail Nana's and my aunt's in time for them to get them by Saturday...which means I have to trust the postal service to "get 'er done" in time OR pay a bit extra...ay-i-yi, ya see what I mean?

Then there's "What do you want for Mother's Day?" from my daughter and Babe...hm, I think long and hard about the air popcorn popper I'd like to have, or the blender that actually works effectively, I even think about the many undergarments I could use to replace the old, stretched-out-from-pregnancy ones. But what I think and what I say are totally different. All I want for Mother's Day is a chance to eat a hot meal, NOT have to wash dishes afterward, and for Babe to put the kids to bed (and they go to sleep!) and I get to read a magazine in my bed, in my jammies, in peace, on my day. After all that shopping for cards, buying and wrapping gifts, is that too much to ask??

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies who have helped make me a better mommy!

3 comments:

Elsie Button said...

enjoying your blog! i am new to mothering but am loving every second. although am a little neurotic/paranoid at times - check out my blog!

Elsie Button said...

Hi again, thanks for your message. Just thought... mother's day must be on a different day in america to the UK. I never knew that. i was very confused for a while thinking 'i'm sure we had mother's day a couple of months ago'. It was the first one of me being a mum myself. I have to admit i was quite excited. Tom drew a picture of Betty which i was really touched by. But i was so caught up in being a mum myself that i forgot to buy my own mum a card! and worse still, she actually bought me a card! she didn't mind though, she is very chilled out.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. Next year all I want is a big hug and a kiss from my Godson. No cards or gifts please. If I can sneek in one hug and a half of a kiss I will be thrilled for at least 3 months. Cards and gifts are so over rated. You hit your family with my favorite high-end gift. The only mother's day gift I've asked for over the past 8 years is an undisturbed 2 hour nap. This year I got 1 hour and 57 minutes according to my watch. My girls had the nerve to set the kitchen timer. Love D.