Yesterday was a really good, albeit busier than sin, day. Nas, my brilliant, funny, extremely active 3 year old started preschool - again - and it seems my assumption about our relationship was accurate. Have time from child, enjoy being around child more. I had three fabulous hours to fill anyway I saw fit and last night as we neared bedtime that kid didn't annoy me the way he often can.
He was his usually cuddly self last night, played by himself really well, and the household flowed the way I like it to. It was truly a good day.
Monday was his first day at the new school and even after bribery tactics (the coveted toy Speed Racer car) we had a rough time getting the kid into the classroom to stay. I'm used to this madness, Babe? Not so much. When I take Nas to the sitter at the gym I literally have to push him in and close the door, okay not literally, but literal enough to where to push does not harm him. This was the way things went at school.
At breakfast I chatted him up about his first day:
"I'm so excited for you, you'll have so much fun!"
"I don't want to go, I don't need any new toys I have plenty of toys mommy," he threw back. I tried to refrain from laughing but that one was good.
Then at the school he unbuckled himself then looked up at the building.
"Mommy, this is my school? It looks like a house!"
"Yes babe, it's your school, you'll have a lot of fun here." Again I had to laugh.
We got inside and the static grew. Nas was attached to me like a web. After signing him in we proceeded to his classroom and the tears started to flow. We did what we could then I kissed his forehead and headed for the hallway. To my dismay Babe was still in the room attempting to console him to no avail. Finally I went back in, sat Nas on the floor and told him I loved him and would see him after lunch.
That was it and off we went. Of course my heart sank when I heard him calling me and when I got to the gym I just hoped and prayed he was having some fun. I didn't break down and call to check on him, I simply prayed through the morning.
God answers prayers! He had a great day, played with kids, painted a picture, knows his teacher's name and loved the playground. After his signature silent treatment, "if I ignore them they will disappear", he got into the groove and even suggested we go back.
Life is good, God is good and time away from the child is always, always good - for everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment