Friday, November 7, 2008

The Golden Year

When I helped in Jay’s class one morning her teacher asked about Nas. She mentioned her son had just turned 3 and was more of a terror than he was at 2 – go figure. But that she’d heard 4 was the “golden year”. I had never heard it put quite like that but I quickly agreed that it was definitely my favorite year with Jay.

Babies are fun and all, but tons of energy is spent on a daily basis when caring for a baby. Toddlers are cute but into everything. They can reach higher and they have mastered the art of grabbing things and of course, they are walking. Toddlers are also eating real food and diapers + real food = well, a nasty combination.

As for 2 year olds, everyone has heard of the “terrible twos”, but I quite liked the second year for both my kids. They were a bit more independent, didn’t get into everything because they were more apt to comprehend “NO”. Granted they too learned “NO” at this stage, but 2 was easier because when they did get into trouble they understood it was not okay to do it again. Note: You will have to discipline child for said “no, no” around age 3 ½ when you can’t fathom why they’d be…oh, touching the electrical sockets.

Two begins the enjoyment of raising tiny tots, but three just keeps it going. They are talking, laughing at funny stuff (how do they have a sense of humor so early??!), plotting against their siblings, and all around smarter kids. Jay didn’t talk a lot until about age 2 but when she hit 3, I knew we had ourselves a little chatter box. I love teaching them big words. Use big words, they’ll surprise you when they use them! My darling cousin even named Jay the Little Professor because of her large vocabulary.

Today Nas turned 4 and I’m so excited to watch him learn and grow this year. In my eyes 3 is the end of the baby days and I’ve expected more of my kids because of that perception. But four? Four is when we get some serious learning going. Jay started preschool at 5 and although Nas will have an extra year thanks to his late birthday, it’s time to buckle down and get some learning in.

Four is the year kids learn so much, get stronger and more coordinated. Nas, in the latter part of his third year, started to sit DOWN more. That was a blessing because I was not used to a child who climbed, ran, jumped and flipped all..day..long. Now he can sit, paint, play with Play-Doh, make pictures – he loves to draw, and will allow us to read a book to him enough times so he can “read” to us. How cool is that?

I’m ready for four, but knowing that he is my last “baby” is kind of sad. When he woke up this morning I sang “Happy Birthday” to him and choked up the last lines. Granted I’m a big baby anyway, but four is a milestone and to go from that chubby baby, to the crawling bandit, to the walking/running super toddler, to the climbing-at-the-playground little boy who is in fact our last makes reminiscing all the more precious. I feel blessed to be here to watch him, this year, take off into the preschooler I know he’ll be. In his golden year. Happy Birthday, Nas!

No comments: